I recently received an email from The Book Report Network asking if I would be interested in reading and reviewing On Their Own by Anne Ford. The email explained that the book was about "creating an independent future for your adult child with learning disabilities and ADHD." I was immediately intriqued and gladly accepted their invitation. I have been researching both conditions since my ten year old son was diagnosed in 1994. However, this is one aspect that I had really not thought much about. What will he do when he's grown? What will life hold for him? I have just been focusing on getting through the present. His future troubles never even crossed my mind. So, I was quite excited to receive the book and see what Ms. Ford had to say about the future for ADHD and LD children.Ms. Ford is a single mother of a learning disabled daughter, Allegra. Her LD journey began over thirty years ago when Allegra was diagnosed at the age of five. After her daughter's diagnosis she joined the National Center for Learning Disabilities as a board member and soon became chairman of the board. She now serves as Chairman Emeritus. Since then, she has been "tenacious in her pursuit of any and all knowledge that could have a positive impact on Allegra's life."
On Their Own helps answer questions that we will all face when our ADHD & LD children become adults. How much control should we have in their adult lives? How will I know when to step in and when to step back? How much advice should I offer? Should I just stay out of his life and only offer help when asked? She offers answers to these and other questions. She relays, through her experience, what works and what doesn't.
Ms. Ford begins the book by describing exactly what learning disabilities are. She then discusses relationships that the LD adult encounters: parent/child, brothers/sisiters, friends, dating, marriage and parenting. The next topic she writes about is one I am now thinking about...what happens after high school graduation? She touches on college, taking the SAT, financial aid, GED, etc. The next obvious subject is employment and the LD adult. She then focuses on how LD adults can mange life on thier own. The final chapter is filled with interviews of prominent people with LD. They offer advice from past experience. My favorite interview is the one with Gaston Caperton, President of the College Board and former governor of West Virginia. (I was born and raised in that great state!). To conclude the book, Ms. Ford has compiled a vast "Resource Guide." She offers contact information and website addresses for national learning disability organizations; resources for adults with ADHD; assistive technology information; college, GED, continuing education and financial aid information; employment and job training websites; support networks and life coaching resources. It could easily be a life guide for any adult affected by LD.
Before reading On Their Own, my LD son's future was a distant thought. Now, however, I realize that it is never too early to begin planning for the inevitable. He will become an adult and he will need to know how to be an adult with LD. I, on the other hand, will be a parent of an LD adult. This book will help us both prepare for our new roles. I am much better prepared to support him when the time comes. I have also learned that it will be necessary for me to step back when necessary and allow him to be the adult he is to become. Thank you, Ms. Ford, for opening my eyes to the future.....to my son's bright, independent future.
You can read an excerpt from the book on the National Center for Learning Disabilities website. You can also read an interview with Anne Ford conducted by SchwabLearning after the publication of her first book, Laughing Allegra.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your thoughts.